I was recently reading an article about transport/commuter bikes that are reasonably priced, and it got me started making a list of reasonably priced commuter bikes. When you visit many web sites or forums many people seem to steer you to bikes costing over $1,000, however there are plenty of decent commuter bikes available below $1,000 — as shown in my list of affordable commuter bicycles below.
In making my list, I’m assuming most folks will want a reasonable number of gears (at least 7 or 8), a chain guard and fenders to stay clean, and a bit more of an upright riding position. While it’s true that you can commute on any type of bike, I think those items are important to many people. So, here’s my list of affordable commuter bicycles under $1,000.
- Takara Sugiyama Bike — single-speed simplicity (available for around $200).
- Schwinn Discover commuter bikes with racks for under $200 here.
- Dahon Speed D7 Folding Bike – folding makes it easy to take on buses or trains – available for around $499
- Breezer Uptown bike some models available for under $800. You can read my review of the Breezer Uptown 8 here: Breezer Uptown 8 Review.
So there you have it, the best commuter bicycles under $900 — and many of them are under $500. So, you certainly don’t have to spend over $1,000 to get affordable commuter bikes and start enjoying the gasoline savings and health benefits of commuting to work by bicycle.
Other commuter bike reviews:
- Schwinn Loop Folding Bike Review
- Dahon Boardwalk Bike Review
- Dahon D7 Folding Bike Review
- Hollandia Opa 28 City Bicycle
- Best Commuter Bikes Under $1000